Saturday, May 15, 2010

Top 3 Judge's Choice Songs

The Top 3's song choices selected by the judges were announced today. Spoiler alert for those that want to be surprised to stop reading now. But for everyone else...please continue to read.

Crystal Bowersox: Maybe I'm Amazed by Paul McCartney & Wings. Chosen by Ellen. I'm never going to say anything is wrong with doing a Beatles or Paul McCartney song, but it's a little disconcerting that Simon didn't choose Crystal's song. There has only been 1 maybe 2 times in American Idol history that Simon didn't choose the song for the eventual winner, the time was in Season 4 he chose for Vonzell Solomon instead of eventual winner Carrie Underwood. Other than that one season he has chosen for the winner. So we'll see how this season plays out.

Casey James: Daughters by John Mayer. Chosen by Kara and Randy. I can definitely see this song for Casey. It's very acoustic and not too big of a song that will bring out the bleating lamb voice that Kara perfectly described a few weeks back. It's going to take a lot for Casey to outdo both Lee &/or Crystal this week but this song might help.

Lee DeWyze: Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen. Chosen by Simon. This song puzzles me. Not because it's a bad song or one that I think Lee can't handle, but because it has actually already been done once this season, actually done nicely by Tim Urban. And it was done a couple seasons back by Jason Castro. I have read many times that people think that Castro's interpretation of that song ranks as one of the best live performances, I don't know if I'd go that far but given I barely remember songs that were sung this season, I actually still do remember Castro's performance so it was pretty memorable I suppose. So, we'll see how Lee handles it.

Hopefully this will keep you going for another couple days. See you back here right after American Idol on Tuesday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment